Five decades ago Kurisumala was known as ‘Kondaketty Mala’. The history of Kurisumala can be traced back to 1940s. The humble farmers, George and Esthron resided in a cave on the summit and experienced the wonders and healing power of the Cross.
On 27th March 1957 Fr. John Baptist OCD, a Belgium missionary climbed the summit with a small group of parishners and established a wooden Cross. That marked the beginning of the pilgrimage.
The Cross on the summit has a history of its own. Due to bad weather the wooden Cross was partially damaged. There for a 24 feet (7m) high concrete Cross was established in its place.